Monday, May 04, 2009

Weekend update

The past weekend was pretty monumental and deserves its own blog to recap things.

FRIDAY

Friday was my second last exam (until May 21st, when we write stats), so essentially done for a while now. It also marked my 5 year cancerversary, which I decided I couldn't let slip by. So I sent out a big message to everyone saying "I'm having a party to celebrate almost being done exams, and also because yadda yadda yadda."

Anyways, the reaction and turnout was mind blowing. People were surprisingly chill (I was worried it would be awkward but I think I presented it confidently and boldly, instead of a manner requesting pity or something) and really discussive and positive. Tons of folks came and our flat was full up, with the kitchen and living room packed, and people spilling over into the hall and foyer. Everything was just awesome. The playlist (mastered by yours truly) was great. We had a cake as well. My friends brought me some daffodils (the cancer flower) and a bottle of champagne. Around 11, everyone gathered in the kitchen, and my flatmate turned off the music and asked for a speech. So I gave one, getting incredibly nervous with all eyes on me. This meant it was a horribly awkward speech. Then, my North American friend brought over some funnels and we had a competition amongst people, many of whom had only seen funnels in American movies but never in real life. That was a good laugh. Then we headed out to the club and danced the night away. It was great.

SATURDAY

Mostly sleeping, chilling, cleaning the house. Went out that night but only for a bit. Ended up at a McDonald's at the end of the night, full of drunken Scots. Interesting scenario to say the least. I also spent about £6 on food there, but don't really feel guilty since I hardly go to McDonald's here.

SUNDAY

Decided to take advantage of the nice weather, so I called up my buddy and we decided to climb Calton Hill. Not really a big hill compared to others in the city, but had some great views. Since he has a subscription to stream the IIHF Hockey games on his computer, we decided to go watch it later that night (he's Czech and they were playing Belarus). That was a few hours away, so we headed to a pub in the meantime. Then grabbed some beer and oven pizzas and headed to his house to watch the game. It was a great day of physical activity, chilling and hockey.


All in all, a great weekend and a nice break after the exam week hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment